Pressure washing is a cost-effective and eco-friendly process used to clean paint and stained surfaces, such as brick.
Wilmington has a thriving pressure-washing community with a diverse range of businesses. But what do you know about pressure washing?
So, as you reach out for the best pressure washing Wilmington, NC has to offer, we have comprehensively answered some of the most asked questions, like what is pressure washing?
What are some of its perks? Is it worth considering? Should it be DIYed or done professionally? And so much more.
Keep scrolling to find out!
What is Pressure Washing?
Pressure washing is a method that uses high-pressure water to remove old paint, grease, and dirt from concrete surfaces.
The process involves using equipment that exerts very high water pressure on the surface(s).
Because of this high pressure, this method can be unsafe for some areas. Read on to see which areas are safe to pressure wash and which ones are.
Why Should You Consider Pressure Washing? What are the Pros and Cons?
Pressure washing has many pros to consider; let’s look at what they are.
Pros of Pressure Washing:
- The cleaning method is fast. A surface that would take days or weeks to clean can be done in just a few hours, saving you both time and money.
- It is cost-effective and does a good job, saving you from regular cleanups.
- Pressure washing is one of the most energy-efficient cleaning methods today, especially compared to water-based solutions like steam or hot water cleaning.
- The solution does not use chemicals, so it’s safe for the environment and animals (including fish).
- Pressure washers can also remove old paint and serve as a surface preparation method.
Cons of pressure washing
- When done unprofessionally, it can damage your surfaces. Always involve a professional for a safer process.
Who Uses Pressure Cleaning?
Pressure cleaning is versatile and applicable in various residential, commercial, and industrial setups.
It is most common in construction and used to clean areas where chemical cleaning or other methods are unsuitable.
The process is best for outdoor use and is usable on many surface types, including asphalt driveways, concrete patios, natural stone floors, and more.
In addition to being suitable for construction sites, it is ideal for homes to keep your driveway and sidewalks dirt free. The process is also famous for removing graffiti from buildings.
The pressure cleaner is good at removing dirt and paint from surfaces that need to become stain free again and mold from concrete surfaces.
Power washing is also perfect for businesses that deal with paint, like wallpaper stores and paintball arenas, where it can be used to remove any leftover paint or powder.
The process is also suitable for cleaning-stained concrete floors of old oil stains and other spills—car shops deal with car parts daily and thus will have various stains on the ground. The method is perfect for cleaning these areas as well.
How Much Does the Process Cost?
The pressure washing cost varies depending on your property’s size and what needs to be done. A small residential home will be less than a large business property.
But typically, the average cost would be $0.35 to $0.80 per square foot. The size of your property and the surface type will determine the cost.
What are the Common Pressure Cleaning Techniques?
There are many different techniques used to power wash surfaces. Some of them include the following:
- Hot water – This method uses hot water and soap to clean surfaces. It is best used on outdoor surfaces that need extra cleaning, like driveways and sidewalks where dirt is present.
- Short blast – This method is perfect for removing oil, grease, and grime from the surface. It is not as effective at removing dirt and paint stains, though.
- Spraying – A good technique for cleaning concrete floors of dirt and oil. It can also be used to clean driveways and sidewalks but will use more water than other methods.
- Power washing – Water pressure is routed through hoses on a small machine that sprays a fine mist of water over the surface. This method is cheaper than other methods but usually does not work as well when removing large amounts of dirt from surfaces.
- Soft washing – This method is quite different from traditional power washing. This method uses low pressure, small foam, and a detergent to clean surfaces. It is suitable for indoor and delicate surfaces like wood.
Which surfaces Can I Have Pressure Washed and Which Ones Can’t I?
Not all surfaces are safe for pressure cleaning; others can be damaged or even destroyed by the process. Such surfaces include:
- Stained wood
- Painted surfaces (unless you want to remove the paint)
- Lead paint
- Asphalt shingles
Surfaces that allow pressure washing are:
- Driveways and walkways
- Parking lots
- Brick surfaces (but not brick pavers)-Gravel driveways and parking lots
- Concrete surfaces (like patio floors)
- Stone surfaces
If you have any questions or are unsure of anything, always consult an expert before deciding which cleaning method to use. It is better to be safe than sorry.
What is the Difference Between Hot Water Pressure Cleaning and Cold-Water Pressure Cleaning?
Hot water pressure cleaning uses hot water to clean surfaces. The heat is needed to loosen built-up dirt and grime, making it easier for the cleaning solution to remove said material from your property. It is ideal for surfaces that have grease or oil build-up on them.
Cold water pressure cleaning removes bugs and debris from natural surfaces, such as patios and driveways. It is ideal for removing dirt from concrete floors.
Should I Pressure Wash on My Own?
We advise against non-professionals pressure washing their properties. It is a messy process and can damage your property if you do not know how to use the pressure washer correctly.
Although it is reasonably easy for people to learn the technique, many things can go wrong when you do it without skills. The following can happen:
- You could cause more damage than you want to by accidentally spraying too much water on surfaces or being overzealous with your brush.
- Incorrect use of the equipment will damage surfaces.
- Incorrect use of chemicals will damage surfaces.
- Improper handling of the machine can cause injury.
What are the Benefits of Working with a Professional?
- A professional will have the right equipment to clean your property in no time.
- There is a lot to know about pressure washing, and professional cleaners use this knowledge to do the perfect job for you.
- Experts can advise you on what is best for your property type and the appropriate cleaning method. They will provide services suitable to your specific needs and price range.
- Professionals do a wonderful job with properties that need lots of cleaning because they will not only clean them but also dry them properly so as not to cause more damage than necessary.
- They are more efficient and can complete the job quickly and cost less.
- Most of them are insured, and you will not be responsible for any injuries that might happen during the project.
Pressure washing is a great way to get rid of that old or rusty paint and stains from the past. This powerful method can quickly clean your property and make it look brand new.
But it can also do more harm than good in the hands of an amateur, so always ensure you go for someone capable of delivering a professional job.
If you need pressure washing services, contact us today! You will be glad that you did.
Get Our Professional Pressure Washing Services in Wilmington NC
Do you now understand the perks of pressure washing and would like to enjoy them, but at a reasonable price?
Call us today and leave your property with a clean, shiny, and beautiful look.
First Choice Services LLC is a professional pressure washing company, specializing in various house cleaning and exterior cleaning services.
We do an awesome job taking care of exterior surfaces of homes and businesses in Wilmington, NC, and the surrounding areas.
Our services include:
- Window Cleaning
- Pressure Washing
- Gutter Cleaning
- Commercial and Residential Cleaning
- House washing
- Roof cleaning
- Driveways and sidewalks
- Parking lots
- Concrete surfaces
- Stone surfaces
- Curb, sidewalk, and driveway edges
- Dirt and grime removal
Keeping your home, commercial space, garage, or driveway in pristine condition ensures the comfort and safety of all those dwelling in it. Regular pressure washing maintenance is one of the most effective ways to make this happen.
Why hire us over other pressure-washing companies?
We take pride in our services and are confident we are the best at what we do. Some of the things that put us at the top of the list are:
- We have over 35 years of valuable experience in the industry; we understand our job deeply.
- We are licensed, bonded, and insured. You can have peace of mind hiring us to work on your property.
- Our workers have compensation liability insurance, meaning you will not be liable for injuries at the site.
- We offer affordable pricing and no-cost, no-obligation estimates on all our services.
- We provide after-hour emergency services. Call 910-367-6765.
We offer it all; residential or commercial pressure washing services. We offer affordable services and will leave your property looking new! Give us a call today!